Twenty-six blackbucks died due to pesticide poisoning at Gummadam village in Mahbubnagar district of Telangana, reported TS Sudhir in Firstpost. The blackbucks had grazed on maize crop that had been laced with pesticide.
When the incident came to light on Saturday afternoon, some of the blackbucks were still alive. However, they died on their way to the veterinary hospital.
Quoting officials, the report notes that farmers use balls of pesticide granules to ward off insects, rodents and blackbucks.
Firstpost reported that a case has been registered under Wildlife Protection Act against those who used the pesticide. A post-mortem is also being carried out on the carcass of the animals while maize crop has been sent for forensic investigation.
Blackbucks are included in the endangered list of Indian species.