Earlier, the court had ordered the CB-CID to conduct a probe into the illegal mining operations taking place in Tirupur.

Madras HC orders police to file charge sheet on illegal mining in Tirupur
news Illegal Mining Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 19:03

The Madras High Court has directed CB-CID police to file a charge sheet in connection with illegal mining operations in Tirupur district, after it found that there was a "prima facie case of collusion" between officials and people engaged in mining operations.

After going through the report filed by CB-CID inspector, Tirupur, the court said, "It is quite apparent that there is a prima facie case of collusion between government officials and persons carrying out mining operations..." 

Earlier, the court had ordered the CB-CID to conduct a probe into the illegal mining operations taking place in Tirupur.

The First Bench, comprising Chief Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Justice MM Sundresh was hearing a contempt petition filed by D Prabhakaran seeking action against District Collector of Tirupur, Executive Engineer, PWD of Bhavanisagar Basin, Erode district, and tehsildar of Avinashi taluk in Tirupur for allegedly not heeding an earlier court order.

Regarding government servants, the bench directed police to obtain requisite permission to file the FIR against the officials concerned and further said, "We expect the government to deal with the case for permissions within 15 days from the date of such permission is sought by CB-CID..." 

"...The CB-CID is directed to file a charge sheet in pursuance to the report," the bench said.

The matter relates to a writ plea filed by Prabakaran to direct authorities to prohibit illegal gravel soil and sand mining carried out in Tirupur allegedly in the names of Thekkalur panchayat president of Avinashi taluk and others in the guise of agricultural permits.

"... The permits were meant for agriculture purposes, but they have been utilised practically for purposes nothing to do with agriculture," the court observed today.

The court had on March 10 last year directed authorities not to issue further permits till the next date of hearing on April 23, 2015.

However, after going through the counter filed by the Public Works Department, the court passed an order for continuation of its interim order restraining authorities from giving permission during the pendency of the writ petition.

The petitioner submitted that in spite of this, authorities gave permission to remove the silt from the places in question, following which the contempt petition was filed.

However, the bench closed the contempt and the writ petition and directed the state government and CB-CID to file a status report on June 27, this year. 

Show us some love and support our journalism by becoming a TNM Member - Click here.