Karnataka HC doubles compensation for family of man who died trying to charge phone
news Wednesday, February 11, 2015 - 05:30
The News Minute | January 19, 2015 | 09:27 am IST The Karnataka High Court doubled the compensation paid to the family of a young man who died due to an electric shock while trying to connect the charger to his cell phone, states a report by Bangalore Mirror. Bangalore Electricity Supply Company Limited (Bescom) had earlier paid Rs 3.4 lakh to the family as compensation. But the 22-year-old victim's father had approached the High Court seeking enhancement of compensation, following which the court doubled the compensation and ordered Bescom to pay Rs 7 lakh to the family, adds the report. The petitioner argued that his son was the only bread-winner in the family, which included the victim's parents and two sisters. The victim met with the accident in March 2014. The Bangalore Mirror reports states that 'the family blamed (Bescom) which had installed a transformer a day earlier at Hedigere. It was alleged that Bescom, without verifying the working of the transformer, had given electricity connection and this resulted in the electrocution.'
Show us some love! Support our journalism by becoming a TNM Member - Click here.