Karnataka Home Minister G. Parameshwara on Wednesday said the government will take necessary action to nab the perpetrators of alleged caste violence in Raichur district of the state recently.
G. Parameshwara told the media, “We will take legal action against the culprits. If there are lapses by the police, we will take action against them too.”
The minister made the statement while he was in Hospet in Ballari district while he was on his official tour.
The News Minute had previously reported that around 20 Dalit families were terrorized by a mob of dominant caste people in their village in Karnataka’s in Turvihal village, Raichur district on December 25 last year.
It is believed that around 50 people belonging to the backward Kuruba caste attacked a group of houses in Ambedkarnagar which was a Dalit colony having around 50 houses of Madigas, who are considered right at the bottom of the caste hierarchy in the region.
Raichur district has the third highest number of atrocities against scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in the state after Bangalore City and Belagavi district.
According to the annual report for 2014 on the implementation of the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocity) Act 1989, as many 113 cases were registered under the Act in Raichur district – this is one case every three days.