The girl was playing outside her house when she reportedly tripped over the sambar pot and fell on the ground, spilling the hot liquid all over her.

Infant dies in Chennai after hot sambar spills all over herImage for representation
news Accident Monday, December 17, 2018 - 08:49

A day after a pot of piping-hot sambar spilled on her, an 18-month-old girl died of scalds on Sunday. Surya and her husband Murugan lived with their daughter Bhumika on Stringer street near Parrys Corner. Separated recently from her husband, Surya lived in a makeshift tent on the pavement of the road and made a living by selling food from a pushcart in the area.

The incident happened on Saturday morning, when Surya made a vessel full of sambar to be sold at her tiffin shop. After making the sambar, she placed the vessel on the ground in front of her hut and stepped inside her hut, and then she heard Bhumika’s cries.

Surya rushed outside to find Bhumika on the ground with sambar spilled all over her. The vessel in which sambar was kept was lying toppled nearby indicated that Bhumika, who was playing nearby, must have tripped over the vessel, according to news reports. Bhumika was immediately taken to the Kilpauk Medical College and Hospital by her mother. Though she was being treated for her burn injuries, she died on Sunday morning.

Reports cite that Bhumika sustained 51 percent burns on her body with her stomach, back and other parts being severely affected in the accident. The body was taken for autopsy and will reportedly be handed over to the family on Monday. The police said that the infant was a part of a joint family and that the food was also prepared for the several members of the family. 

The Esplanade police have registered a case under section 174 (Unnatural death) of the CrPC and investigation is underway.

Show us some love and support our journalism by becoming a TNM Member - Click here.