The boy was admitted for seizures, and the family alleged that the hospital treatment had made the patient's condition worse.

Hyd boy allegedly given fungus-infected saline drips family files police complaint
news News Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 08:00

The family of a 11-yr-old boy in Hyderabad has alleged that he was administered saline contaminated by fungus at Hyderabad's Durgabai Deshmukh Hospital and Research Centre (DDHRC) in Vidyanagar.

The boy was admitted for seizures, and the family alleged that the hospital treatment had made the patient's condition worse.

The Deccan Chronicle reported that Krishna Prasad, a Class 7 student from Ramnagar, was admitted to the hospital on Wednesday at about 10 pm, when doctors began administering saline.

However, the boy’s uncle, Srinivas, noticed something in the bottle and alerted the staff.

“The bottle was filled with fungi. We told the staff and even reminded them of the recent incident at Gandhi hospital, but it all fell on deaf ears,” DC quoted Srinivas as saying.

Following this, a complaint was lodged with the Nallakunta police, who registered a case under Section 336 (endangering life) of the IPC against the hospital Resident Medical Officer (RMO) and others. 

“At 10pm on Thursday, his parents noticed fungus in the saline bottle and they immediately disconnected the drip. We have seized the saline bottle containing fungus. The seized item will be sent to lab. After the incident the boy was shifted to to another hospital for treatment on Friday morning. The boy is out of danger," Nallakunta inspector V Yadagiri Reddy told the Times of India.

Earlier this year,6-year-old Sai Prabalika died in Gandhi Hospital after being critical for 62 days because the hospital allegedly gave her contaminated saline.  

Prabalika was admitted to the Gandhi Hospital on December 7, 2016, for pneumonia and high fever.

A few days later, her father alleged that she was administered an intravenous fluid, after which her complexion turned reddish and she started shivering.

The father claimed that he noticed a yellowish fungal material and an insect in the fluid. 

In July, seven people lost vision in one eye after a botched-up cataract surgery in Hyderabad's Sarojini Devi Eye Hospital (SDEH). Contaminated saline was blamed for that incident too.

 

Show us some love! Support our journalism by becoming a TNM Member - Click here.