The University Grants Commission has declared 23 universities in the country fake.
The southern states of Karnataka and Kerala have one fake university each.
New Delhi has seven and Uttar Pradesh with nine tops the list.
According to a report in Hindustan Times, MoS for Human Resource Development Mahendra Nath Pandey has said that state governments had been notified about the fake universities.
The states are required to investigate and file a police complaint against the universities. They will also have to take action against those involved in cheating students by portraying themselves as universities and â€śawarding degrees with their nameâ€ť, Pandey said in the Rajya Sabha.
Hereâ€™s the complete list of fake universities published by the UGC.
1. Maithili University/Vishwavidyalaya, Darbhanga, Bihar.
2. Commercial University Ltd., Daryaganj, Delhi.
3. United Nations University, Delhi.
4. Vocational University, Delhi.
5. ADR-Centric Juridical University, ADR House, 8J, Gopala Tower, 25 Rajendra Place, New Delhi - 110 008.
6. Indian Institute of Science and Engineering, New Delhi.
7. Viswakarma Open University for Self-Employment, Rozgar Sewasadan, 672, Sanjay Enclave, Opp. GTK Depot, Delhi-110033.
8. Badaganvi Sarkar World Open University Education Society, Gokak, Belgaum, Karnataka.
9. St. Johnâ€™s University, Kishanattam, Kerala.
10. Raja Arabic University, Nagpur, Maharashtra.
11. Indian Institute of Alternative Medicine, Kolkatta.
12. Institute of Alternative Medicine and Research,8-A, Diamond Harbour Road, Builtech inn, 2nd Floor, Thakurpurkur, Kolkatta - 700063
13. Varanaseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya, Varanasi (UP) Jagatpuri, Delhi.
14. Mahila Gram Vidyapith/Vishwavidyalaya, (Womenâ€™s University) Prayag, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh.
15. Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith, Prayag, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh.
16. National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh.
17. Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose University (Open University), Achaltal, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh.
18. Uttar Pradesh Vishwavidyalaya, Kosi Kalan, Mathura, Uttar Pradesh.
19.Maharana Pratap Shiksha Niketan Vishwavidyalaya, Pratapgarh, Uttar Pradesh.
20. Indraprastha Shiksha Parishad, Institutional Area,Khoda,Makanpur,Noida Phase-II, Uttar Pradesh.
21. Gurukul Vishwavidyala, Vridanvan, Uttar Pradesh.
22. Nababharat Shiksha Parishad, Anupoorna Bhawan, Plot No. 242, Pani Tanki Road,Shaktinagar, Rourkela-769014.
23. North Orissa University of Agriculture & Technology, Odisha.
(Bhartiya Shiksha Parishad, Lucknow, UP - the matter is subjudice before the District Judge, Lucknow)
Apart from this, the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) has also come out with a list of fake technical institutes operating in the country â€“ 279 of them.
Among the five southern states, Telangana has 43 technical institutes conducting technical programs without AICTE approval. Karnataka comes next with 23 fake technical institutes.
Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala have 12, 7 and 2 fake technical institutes operating in the states respectively.
Here too, Delhi tops the list with 66 fake colleges providing engineering and other technical courses.
Maharashta and West Bengal also have a high number of fake technical institutes.
It is worth noting that a similar list published by the AICTE, as updated on December 2014, shows that there has been no change in the number of fake technical universities in the southern states.