Flix Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 05:30
The News Minute | March 15, 2015 | 10.44 am IST Adjustments Google made to the manner in which it selects news search results some months ago, prioritises results from company websites. According to a Reuters report, the change was noticed last month when the website of a SIM card-manufacturing company named Gemalto was allegedly hacked by American and British spies.  The news generated a lot of interest but when people searched for the company name on Google, the search engine displayed the company’s statement as the first result among the News links displayed. The company statement reportedly downplayed the impact of the hacking.  The Reuters report said that such a move could mislead users when they accessed company statements over news reports. Google told Reuters that it had made the change in September, but it was not announced to the public. A spokesperson said that Google had broadened the pool from which it drew results for the “News” section when users searched for something.  As a result, Google now displays press releases as well, but says it does not get paid for it. Tweet Follow @thenewsminute

Show us some love! Support our journalism by becoming a TNM Member - Click here.