Features Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 05:30
The News Minute | October 25, 2014 | 11.35 am IST Eleven members of a Brazilian family are in critical condition after unintentionally eating the world’s most poisonous fish. The family had got the Puffer fish from their friend who had gone fishing in the Duque de Caxias in Rio de Janeiro. The lady of the house said that she had called her relatives living nearby to have a delicious fish feast on Wednesday, Daily Mail reported. Seconds after eating the fish the diners began vomiting and feeling numb in their face and arms. The victims, which included four children aged three to five were paralysed even before reaching a car that was to take them to a hospital. The Puffer fish is the most venomous fish in the world and the second most poisonous vertebrate. The venom contains Tetrodotoxin which inhibits neural transmission leading to numbness initially and later paralysis and even death. No antidote has been found to this toxin. The toxin is considered to be 1,200 times more lethal than the most deadly cyanide! However, in Japan this fish which is also called Fugu, is a delicacy. It is allowed to be prepared only by those chefs who have undergone a special training to prepare this fish.

Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!

You can also support us with a one-time payment.

Rs 200Rs 500Rs 1500Custom