Defence Ministry says it has not released photographs of Myanmar operation
news Thursday, June 11, 2015 - 05:30
¬† The Ministry of Defence on Thursday issued a clarification regarding photographs of the Indian Army which were circulating in social media and on mainstream media soon after the Army's covert operation in Myanmar was reported about. The Ministry said that it had not released any photograph related to its recent operation in Myanmar till now. The photographs were initially said to be of commandos who had taken part in the operation. But soon a heated debate ensued on social media, with many users poniting out that the photographs were not related to the operation, but had been taken at some other time.¬† Sitanshu Kar,¬†Principal Spokesperson, Ministry of Defence, on Thursday tweeted,¬† A Clarification: MoD has NOT issued any photo relating to Indian Army action along Indo-Myanmar border in the North East, so far. ‚ÄĒ Sitanshu Kar (@SpokespersonMoD) June 11, 2015 The Times of India was one of the newspapers that carried the picture prominently. The Indian Army this week concluded what is being touted as one of its largest covert operations in Myanmar against militants, in response to the June 4 killing of 18 of its troop members in a militant attack in Manipur.Read:¬†How two photos of the army's Myanmar operation sparked a heated debate
Show us some love! Support our journalism by becoming a TNM Member - Click here.