The Ulavacharu restaurant in Hyderabad's posh Jubilee Hills area found itself in trouble, after a customer complained that he found a live insect in a dish that he ordered.
The customer filed a complaint with the Health Wing of the Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC).
The Deccan Chronicle reported that B Kiran Goud, a member of the Mandal Parishad Territory Constituency of Saroor Nagar, who found the insect, also submitted photos and videos to the GHMC.
“We went to the Ulavacharu Hotel for lunch on Tuesday, and I ordered a Jaipur mutton pulao. When the waiter was serving us our second helping, we found an insect in the dish. It was alive and wriggling. I called for the captain, and his response was that such things happen and that he would replace the dish. I asked him if he would eat the pulao. His response forced me to file a complaint. If the management had apologised, the matter could have been resolved at the hotel itself,” the complainant told DC.
“We have received a complaint about unhygienic food, and will inspect the restaurant in a couple of days,” GHMC in-charge Assistant Food Controller, Sudarshan Reddy, told The Hindu.
The newspaper also reported that the owner of the restaurant refuted the customer's allegations, and called it an attempt to 'malign' the eatery.
Just last month, Vijayawada's Minerva Coffee Shop on MG Road in Andhra Pradesh was shut down temporarily, after Udayagiri MLA Bollineni Venkata Ramarao found a worm in his breakfast.
The TDP MLA had ordered a poori at the hotel for breakfast, only to find a worm on his plate, to his shock.
He immediately lodged a complaint with food safety officials, following which a raid was conducted, and stale food was found stored in the refrigerator.