So far the clashes have resulted in the loss of 45 lives, including security personnel

Curfew separatist shutdown enters 13th day in Kashmir schools reopen in some districts PTI
news Kashmir Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 10:34

Life remained paralysed for the 13the day in Kashmir Valley as authorities continued to impose curfew on Thursday, following extension in the separatists called protest shutdown.

Separatist leaders, including Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and Yasin Malik on Wednesday had announced an extension in the protest shutdown till Monday.

"To prevent escalation of violence, it has been decided to impose curfew in most of the parts of the valley today (Thursday) as well," a senior police official said.

The state government, however, decided to open schools in the four districts of Ganderbal, Badgam, Bandipora and Baramulla.

"To reach places of their duties, identity cards of teachers/government employees shall be treated as curfew passes," an official said.

After remaining suspended for five days, all vernacular and English language newspapers resumed publication in the valley on Thursday.

The editors decided to resume publication following their meeting with Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti where she regretted the decision to have suspended newspaper publication by authorities.

Officials said there was no major clash anywhere in the valley between stone pelting mobs and the security forces.

"No major incident of violence took place anywhere in the valley on Wednesday. However, one person injured in clashes in Kupwara district last Saturday died in a Srinagar hospital yesterday (Wednesday)," a police officer said.

Meanwhile, the regional National Conference has decided to boycott the all party meeting called by the state chief minister to discuss measures to end the present unrest.

Ram Madhav, national general secretary of the Bharatiya Janata Party and the party in-charge of Kashmir affairs, has reached here to discuss the prevailing situation in the valley with the chief minister.

The violence started on July 9, a day after Hizbul commander Burhan Wani was killed in a gunfight with the security forces. Forty-five people including 43 civilians and two local policemen, were killed in the clashes in the valley.


Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.