Cab driver saves multiple lives from electrocution; authorities shirk responsibility
news Wednesday, November 26, 2014 - 05:30
The News Minute| September 24, 2014| 8.50 am IST A cab driver played good Samaritan and saved the lives of hundreds of people from electrocution on Sunday after a live cable fell in rain water on a street in Chennai. Samuel Rajkumar, who narrowly escaped when a lamppost and livewire fell in rainwater on a street in Ashok Nagar remained on the spot warning other motorists of the dangers in crossing the road, said The Times of India. While some other motorists helped warn commuters, authorities shied away from taking responsibility for clearing up the danger the live wire posed to road-users. TNEB officials said that the lamppost was the responsibility of the corporation. Even a policeman from the nearby police station who visited the spot said that it was not under his jurisdiction. A team from a private internet service provider too arrived at the spot to repair a broadband cable, however nothing was done about the live wire. It was only around 3 a.m. that the assistant commissioner of police arrived and made arrangements to clean up the scene. A TNEB team arrived after that.
Show us some love and support our journalism by becoming a TNM Member - Click here.