Features Saturday, March 21, 2015 - 05:30
The News Minute| December 1, 2014| 07.32 pm IST On the eve of the thirtieth anniversary of one of the world’s worst industrial disasters, its survivors are still fighting for justice and compensation. The facts are not reassuring. In the aftermath of the Bhopal Gas Tragedy in December, 1984, India took the company held responsible , Union Carbide to court, demanding over $3 billion dollars. What they got was about 15 per cent of that amount - #470 million dollars. According to Hindustan Times, the distribution hasn't been even. While 93 per cent got about $800, the remaining 7 per cent earned over $12,000. AJ+ narrates the fact surrounding the horrific tragedy, the effects of which are felt even today. According to it, people got compensation of about $500 only. Read Never seen before footage of Bhopal gas tragedy taken with a wedding videographer's camera
Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.