He was arrested on July 14 from his hometown in Dharmapuri.

Arrested for allegedly killing wife undertrial found dead in Bengaluru Central Prison
news Accident Monday, July 29, 2019 - 08:48

A 35-year-old man, who was arrested and undergoing trial for allegedly murdering his wife, was found dead inside the Parappana Agrahara Central Prison on Sunday morning. 

Reports said that he killed his wife suspecting she was having an affair. Following the crime, he had fled to his hometown Dharmapuri from where the police arrested him. He was working as a scrap dealer in the city.

Deccan Herald reported that the prisoner identified as Chinnaswamy had slipped to death from a barrack he was staying at. His fellow prisoners found him lying in a pool of blood after which they alerted the prison officials. 


He was soon rushed to the prison hospital and then taken to Victoria Hospital where doctors declared him brought dead. Preliminary investigation has found that Chinnaswamy had suffered an epileptic attack. Parappana Agrahara Police have registered a case of unnatural death and are awaiting the post-mortem report.


According to police, the deceased who lived in Someshwara Layout in Bengaluru, was arrested on July 14. He was suspected of killing his wife by hitting her with an empty LPG cylinder on her head on July 12.

“We learnt he was suffering from epilepsy and he might have collapsed due to his health issues. The autopsy report will give us the exact cause for his death,” a policeman told the Times of India. 

This incident comes to light two months after a jail warden and others were booked in connection with the unnatural death of another undertrial prisoner Syed Fairoz.

Syed Fairoz, a 21-year-old man, was lodged at the Parappana Agrahara Central Prison in Bengaluru in January 2018. Fairoz was undergoing trial for possession of marijuana. On January 19, Fairoz was rushed to the prison hospital as his right leg had developed an infection. On January 21, when his condition worsened, he was taken to Victoria Hospital in Bengaluru where he succumbed to his injuries two days later. 

The Karnataka State Human Rights Commission had even recommended the Criminal Investigation Department to probe into the alleged police brutality that led to the death of the undertrial.


Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.