1. In a shocking incident, a 10-day-old baby died after being bitten by rats in the intensive care unit (ICU) of a government-run hospital in Guntur town of Andhra Pradesh. The family revealed the incident after the baby died on Wednesday. Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu ordered suspension of three officials and has also asked for a report. Read more.
2. The killer granite block that ripped through a railway compartment near Penukonda in the district on Monday, received some unexpected attention in the form of a special prayer by a group of contract labour engaged to shift the stone, lying near the railway track. Read a Times of India report.
3. Indirectly indicating that they were protecting cash-for-vote scam accused Jerusalem Mattaiah, AP DGP J V Ramudu said on Wednesday that it was the police's duty to help when someone sought protection. Without taking any names, Ramudu said that the police was providing needed help to a “victim” and denied that there was growing rivalry between the Andhra Pradesh and Telangana police,Deccan Chronicle reports.
4. The annual Brahmotsavams of Lord Venkateswara of Tirumala attract lakhs of people every year, but it’s the dozens of the VIPs and the hundreds of hangers-on they bring with them that the TTD is worried about. Just as the procession of festival deities is much looked forward to, the train of VIPs is much not. This year, the Brahmotsavams will begin on September 16. Read The Hindu's report.
5. The Supreme Court on Wednesday suggested that both the states share Krishna waters allocated for combined Andhra Pradesh. During the final hearing on the petitions filed by AP and Telangana, the bench asked why AP and TS could not share waters allocated to combined AP. However, after hearing a few arguments, it posted the case to September 10. Read a report in The New Indian Express.