The outbreak of anthrax disease killed about 37 sheep in Keelvenkatapuram village in Vellore on Thursday and Friday.
The state government sent four special medical teams from the animal husbandry department to vaccinate livestock in the village. Dr. A Rajasekar, joint director of animal husbandry told The Times of India that sheep of seven farmers had died on Thursday.
All the sheep were put in a deep pit and large quantity of bleaching powder was sprinkled on top of it to prevent the spread of the disease. The blood samples of the animals proved that they died due to Anthrax.
Anthrax is a contagious infectious disease caused by gram-positive, rod-shaped bacteria known as Bacillus anthracis. Its spores are extraordinarily hardy and are able to survive in harsh conditions for decades in a dormant state, according to Times of India.
According to the investigations, it is known that after the first animal died its owners removed its skin which would have led to the widespread of the disease. After the anthrax symptoms were seen on the sheep, owners also began medicating them.
Removing the skin or cutting the animal will spread the disease. Even postmortem of the carcasses of the animal is prohibited,â€œ an official told The Times of India.
An official from the animal husbandry department said that they are covering villages in the radius of 8km from Keelvenkatapuram village.