Secunderabad Cantonment Congress has decided to form a committee comprising various groups, including Save KBR park and OSCAR.

After Parade Grounds activists to protest shifting of Secretariat to Bison Polo GroundImage credit: Facebook/Krishank
news News Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 20:04

After the Telangana CM KCR clarified that the new Secretariat would come up at the Bison Polo Ground and not at the Parade Ground at Secunderabad, several activists have come together to protest against this decision.

“We do not understand one thing, why there is even a need to shift the Secretariat. The city needs more open space and greenery,” said Krishank, Secunderabad Cantonment Congress in-charge and official spokesperson for the state unit of the party.

This came after a nearly week-long protest against shifting of the protest site to Parade Grounds by several joggers, walkers and residents of Secunderabad and nearby areas. The protestors had raised slogans, formed human chains, and even released black balloons with the slogan ‘Save the Parade Grounds’.

Addressing the press, CM K Chandrasekhar Rao had reportedly said on May 24, “Neither the TRS government nor KCR will touch Parade Ground. It will continue to remain as an open space for walkers, sportsmen, children etc.”

However, he added that the 55 acres of land, including 33 acres of Bison Polo grounds and 22 acres of adjacent Gymknana Grounds, will be used for constructing a Secretariat, Legislature and a cultural centre on the premises. He pointed out that the Bison Polo Ground was not being used by the army.

This move of the state government has attracted lot of criticism from various sportspersons and residents.

“After a week-long protest, finally the CM has answered the questions. Then he blamed media for reporting that he had asked for Parade Ground, but there was no transparency from the government side. Now the government is eyeing Bison Polo Ground. There is hardly any open space and greenery left in the city,” Krishank told The News Minute.

"Very unfortunate. That's the place where several Olympians had started their sporting career. The place has a rich sporting tradition and the legacy should be preserved for future generations. As public memory is very short, it's important that such places are preserved as an inspiration for future generations. I personally would like to see the government renovating old school and hospital buildings in the cantonment area so that the people are benefitted," Victor Amalraj, former Indian football team captain had told Times of India earlier.

On Monday, several civic action groups and resident welfare associations plan to protest against the move. “Hyderabad is left with hardly 2% of greenery, and it is moving to the direction of become one of the polluted cities like Bengaluru and Delhi. With this move, hardly any open space will be left,” Krishank said.

Last year, KCR proposed to shift the Secretariat in order to build a Vaastu-complaint one.

“Definitely this Secretariat has bad Vaastu. History is proof that no one has prospered because of this. Let Telangana not suffer,'' the Chief Minister was quoted as saying.

“For Vaastu reason, wasting public money is unfair. He has already built Pragathi Bhavan, which is chief minister's office-cum-residence costing over Rs 40 crore. Now again another waste of money. We have decided to protest as this will affect not just public revenue but also the environment,” Krishank added.

The group has decided to form a committee comprising various groups, including Save KBR park and OSCAR.

“If needed we will protest on June 2 by flying black balloons against the government’s move,” he added.

 

Show us some love and support our journalism by becoming a TNM Member - Click here.