50 children from Kanpur fall ill after eating sweets given in school for Independence day
Features Friday, August 15, 2014 - 05:30
Biswajeet Banerjee| The News Minute| August 15, 2014| 5.00 pm IST Over 50 children of a primary school fell ill after consuming poisonous sweets distributed after the Independence Day function in Choubeypur area of Kanpur here today. Police sources here said that the incident happened at a primary school in Malo village when children started vomiting after eating the sweets distributed after the flag hoisting in the school. Several small children were rushed to the nearby community health center for treatment. Police said there were over 100 students in the primary school and as soon as the flag hoisting function was over students were given ladoos. "The sweets were purchased by a teacher of the school from a local market. Some students said that ladoo tasted sour it means these were stale still teachers asked them to eat them," Onkar Awasthi a local police officer said. The teachers of the school went missing after the incident. District Magistrate of Kanpur Dr R Jacob has ordered a probe into the incident and asked doctors to treat the children free of cost.
Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.