"How long can we keep waiting? I am still hopeful that my brother is alive somewhere and he needs to be found," says Pragya, Ajitabh’s sister.

200 days since Bluru techie disappeared Family urges police to find Ajitabh
news Protest Sunday, July 08, 2018 - 18:21

It has been 200 days since Kumar Ajitabh, a Bengaluru-based techie went missing after he went to meet a person in connection with selling his car, which he had advertised on an online portal. Ajitabh disappeared on December 18, 2017.

Ajitabh's family has been running from pillar to post, seeking an explanation for the sequence of events that took place seven months ago, which led to the techie's disappearance. On Sunday, Ajitabh's sister Pragya led a protest at Town Hall in Bengaluru, seeking justice for her missing brother and urging the state government to transfer the case to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).

"I know that they (police) are giving us repeated assurances that they are taking this case seriously but it has been seven months. How long can we keep waiting? I am still hopeful that my brother is alive somewhere and he needs to be found," says Pragya, speaking to TNM on the sidelines of the protest.

"If the case is to be transferred to CBI, it should be done quickly. Why do we wait for so long when the person is alive? You see these kind of cases transferred when the person is murdered but here you are getting the opportunity to save a life, which I think is more important," says Pragya, passionately imploring the police to intensify efforts to find her missing brother.

A case in connection with Ajitabh's disappearance is currently being heard at the Karnataka High Court, and the next hearing is scheduled for July 31.

The High Court recently said that the family of Ajitabh should not be made aware of the investigation "in the best interests of the missing person".

"We have met the CID people and they are assuring us that they are trying their best and investigating all angles again to see if there are any loopholes or lapses. They say it is better that the family is not aware of what is going on, but I think that this is keeping the family in the dark," says Pragya.

On that fateful day seven months ago, Kumar Ajitabh had gone out to meet a prospective customer who wanted to buy his one year old car, a Maruti Suzuki Ciaz. Since then, the techie worked at the BT Group in Bellandur in the city has been missing. Ajitabh's father Ashok Kumar Sinha came from his native place, Patna, to search for his missing son. He has since been hospitalised once in Bengaluru and continues to plead everyone he meets for a speedy resolution to the case.

The police have since discovered the SIM that was used to call Ajitabh, but have made little progress in identifying suspects or figuring out what transpired on the day he went missing.

"Everybody has a family and they will understand our situation. If you step into our shoes you can understand what is going on. 200 days since this happened and we are waiting for justice. This time we have done a peace protest but next time, we have to do it on a much larger scale," she warns.

Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.