This incident follows several cases of industrial mishaps that are taking place across Andhra Pradesh.

14 women hospitalised after ammonia gas leak in Andhra aqua processing unit
news News Sunday, May 07, 2017 - 08:19

At least fourteen workers fell ill and were rushed to the hospital, after ammonia gas leaked from an aqua processing company in Andhra's Gurajanapally village in East Godavari district. 

The Deccan Chronicle reported that the workers were inside the processing unit of Veerabhadra Exports, when a pipeline carrying ammonia broke. While everyone rushed out immediately, 14 women could not make it in time. 

The DC report adds that all the women have been admitted to a government hospital in Kakinada, while the factory has been sealed.

The workers alleged that it was negligence on the company's part, which led to the accident. 

This incident follows several cases of industrial mishaps that are taking place across Andhra Pradesh. 

Earlier this week, two people were killed and five others were injured after a reactor of a pharmaceutical unit exploded near Visakhapatnam.

According to reports, a cleaning operation was ongoing at Azico Biophore where a highly inflammable solvent was being used to clean a new reactor.

The inflammable substance reportedly caught fire after being exposed to room temperature, and sparks fell into a sodium tank, which resulted in the blast.

Last month, five men died in West Godavari district at a food processing plant in Mogalpur. 

The men allegedly choked to death when they went in to clean a chemical tank at the Anand Aqua Food company.

The five men, identified as Eega Yedukondalu, Ram Babu, Nallam Yedukondalu, Thota Srinivasa Rao and Jakkamshetty Praveen, were all aged between 21 and 25.

 

Read: Five deaths and a pungent village: The aftermath of a chemical leak in an Andhra village

Ground Report: Why villagers in Andhra are up in arms against the Godavari Mega Aqua Food Park

 

Become a TNM Member for just Rs 999!
You can also support us with a one-time payment.